The Oaks Estate
The Oaks Estate is a historic, recently restored Cape Dutch farmyard and working farm, with a mountain reserve and various activities, just outside of Greyton in the Western Cape. The farm offers a wedding/function/conference venue, luxury bed-and-breakfast accommodation and an authentic farm experience. The beautiful country setting of the Estate, on the banks of the Riviersonderend River, at the foot of the majestic Zonderend Mountains, is only a 90 minute drive from Cape Town.
The farm is owned and managed by the Ehlers family who farms the land with cattle, fruit and grapevines for boutique wine production. The homestead and ‘werf’ has a rich history dating back to 1727. The six newly restored buildings that form the farmyard is ‘one of the best examples of a complete Cape Dutch style farmyard in the Western Cape’. Apart from the Manor House (Guest House) and Old Wine Cellar (Function Venue), the farmyard also consists of the ‘Pioniershuis’ (Owners Residence), Old Stables (Offices and Stables) and the Old Mill (Small Function Room). The Yard is enclosed by a wall built in the 1800’s in order to keep the race horses enclosed. The yard is surrounded by cattle grazing fields, horse paddocks, grape vines, vegetable gardens and the Manor House rose garden.
The nearby tranquil, but sophisticated Greyton village, is one of the best country destinations in South Africa. The village has a selection of fantastic restaurants, coffee shops, delicatessens and galleries. The charming village, together with the working farm and mountain reserve offers the perfect get-away.
WEDDINGS & EVENTS
This recently renovated, grand old Cape Dutch farmyard on The Oaks Estate sets a magnificent setting for weddings, conferences and other functions. The old Wine cellar (Function Venue) can accommodate up to 100 guests in a dinner style set-up. The building has a fully serviced kitchen with large cooler room and a cellar below floor level, visible through a glass floor section. For larger weddings (more than 100 guests), a special area in the yard has been prepared to set up a tent which is easily accessible from the kitchen, ablution, electricity points and other facilities. The use of the farm and mountain reserve is also available to the wedding party for photo’s, beverages, etc.
The Manor House provides accommodation for 10 guests, which we normally recommend for the use of the bride and groom and/or close family. Greyton has some fantastic Bed & Breakfast establishments and self-catering cottages for the wedding guests. Although the farm is located close enough for guests to drive out from Cape Town and the surrounding area, the farm and village offers the perfect setting for an exclusive weekend country wedding.
– Tour of the Historic Farm
– Tour of the Working Farm
– Mountain Drive & Hike to Waterfall
– Mountain Biking
– Horse Trails
– Hiking, Swimming, Birding, Fishing
– Greyton Village (Restaurants, Deli’s and Shops)
– Genadendal Missionary & Museum
– Tour of surrounding Area (Self drive daytrips : Cape Town, Franschoek, Stellenbosch, Elgin, Botrivier, Falsebay Coastal Road, Hermanus, Swellendam, Napier, Agulhas, Robertson, Montagu, Bonnievale, etc.)
Manor House Suites:
• The Manor House has accommodation for 4 guests in 2 luxury suites, with a separate lounge, dining room and TV Lounge with full big screen DSTV, drinks cabinet and fireplace. All rooms have under floor hearing. The 2 suites are luxuriously decorated with antique furniture and rich fabric in the grand splendour of the early 1800’s. Both the suites have incredible views of the countryside visible from the free-standing baths in the luxury rooms. These rooms can be booked on Bed & Breakfast basis and special arrangements can be made for optional Lunches and/or Dinners.
Manour House Loft Rooms :
• The loft has accommodation for 6 guests in 3 en-suite bedrooms with separate shared warm-up kitchen, lounge and dining room. These Loft rooms are individually and tastefully decorated with a more modern, country feel. The Loft rooms are equipped with full DSTV and hot/cold air conditioning. The Loft has its own lounge, dining room and kitchen area for the use of the guests and is perfect to accommodate families or groups. These rooms can be booked on Bed & Breakfast basis which includes the use of the warm-up kitchen for light meals and special arrangements can be made for optional Lunches and/or Dinners from the farm kitchen.
Accommodation Rates and Booking Procedures:
• 50% deposit on confirmation of the booking – internet transfers or bank deposits accepted.
• Balance payments due on arrival – Internet Transfer facilities or cash (card facilities in process)
Manor House Luxury Suites on Bed & Breakfast basis :
Suite 1 – Double bed with shower
Suite 2 – Two single beds with bath
• R1 380 per adult per night sharing, inclusive of breakfast
• R1 506.50 per single adult, inclusive of breakfast
• No children
The Loft Luxury Bedrooms on Bed & Breakfast basis :
Loft 1 – Two single beds with shower
Loft 2 – Queen bed with bath
Loft 3 – Queen bed with shower
• R 977.50 per adult per night sharing, inclusive of breakfast
• R1 115.50 per single adult, inclusive of breakfast
• Children from 2-12 years old at R250 per child
• Children under 2 stay for free
Cottages on Self-Catering Basis :
• Zonderend Farm House – sleeps 6 – R2300 per night (view here)
• Zonderend Cottage – sleeps 4 – R1200 per night (view here)
Please see more details for Zonderend Cottages under the ”Charming farm accommodation”
• No children in Manor House
• No pets
• No Pool
• Designated smoking areas
Arrival and Departure:
• Check in time from 14h00. An estimated time of arrival when making your booking would be most appreciated.
• Departure by 10h00 unless arranged otherwise
Directions and GPS Co-Ordinates:
•34 05’44.68”S 19 41’42.89”E
From Cape Town – N2 direction George
Take Greyton/Genadendal Turn-off 10kms pass Dassiesfontein farmstall and 3 kms before Caledon
30 Kms to Greyton
– Turn right at 2nd Stop sign in Greyton
– Follow road pass Oak & Vigne Cafe out of the village (the road becomes gravel)
– Continue over bridge – direction Riviersonderend
– Follow gravel road for 10kms. The Oak Estate (white buildings with thatch) on your right.
From George/Garden Route – N2 direction Cape Town
– Take Nethercourt turnoff 30kms pass Riviersonderend to the right (Sign can be easily missed. When you see Krige sign on left you have gone too far by about 3kms)
– Continue on the gravel road for 13kms to where you reach a T-junction. (Be careful when crossing two narrow bridges over Zonderend River.
– Turn left and follow road for 3kms – The Oaks Estate on your left (white buildings with thatch)
Click Enquire to make your booking